Monday, July 28, 2008

Application of Knowledge

I have to admit that when I saw this class on our course schedule I was not, to say the least very excited about taking it. Number 1 is was a technology class, and number two, it was an online class. But I will have to admit that besides my classroom management class, this is the best class I have taken in this cohort. Just like the classroom management class there are things that I can use imidiately and not file away and never look at again. One of the first things that I did was change some of my passwords. Yes I am one of those people who used the same password for everything. If someone found out what it was they would have almost complete access to everything that I do online, weather it was banking, shopping, school work, or email, the password was the same.

The second thing that I took for this class is how to talk to my students about internet safety without sounding like an old fuddy duddy. I will be teaching 7th graders and I know that most of my students spend half or more of their free time either IMing, or online somehow, hormones are raging and things are said that shouldn't. I don't know why, but I do feel that I can talk to my students more confidently about their use of technology. I plan to have the ethics book for kids in my class where the students have easy access to it.

I have truly enjoyed this class. It wasn't as hard or daunting as I thought it would be. Thank you Mark for making this a very enjoyable class for a technology phobic like me.

No comments: