Monday, July 14, 2008

Thoughts on ICEK

I really enjoyed reading Internet and Computer Ethics for Kids for many reasons. I enjoyed the fact that it was an easy read, but mostly because I could understand what the author was saying. There weren't too many technical jargon that I needed a computer expert to translate. I can easily see how this book can fit into the computer class that our students are required to take. The current curriculum is focused on learning programs, but not necessarily the ethics of the Internet and computers. I am actually thinking about showing this book to our tech coordinator and maybe convince to add ethics to the computer class.

I wouldn't just give this book to kids and say hey read it and tell me what you think. I think weather it is used at home or at school, the book needs to be read aloud and discussed as a group. The author does a great job of posing great questions at the end of each chapter. Questions that can lead to great discussions and deeper level of thinking. This book would be great for kids grades 3-7. I don't think the older students would take it as seriously. They might laugh at the simplicity of the messages and the pictures. They would think they were too cool for cutesy things like that.

I really like how the author at the end of the book really drove home the point that it was up to parents to talk their kids about Internet and computer ethics and safety. Parents think that it is the school's responsibility because it is the school's job to educate their children. Parents didn't really grow up with computer in the home and use it like kids are using them today, but they have to realize that it is a dangerous tool if not used properly. So just like how the "police" their children's fashion choice, they need to "police" their children's computer usage.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eniola, I agree that the discussion questions at the end of the chapters are great and would lead to a greater DOK.
I don't know of any school that is teaching computer ethics unless it is taught in their regular computer class. Wouldn't it be great if we could require that families read this book together before the student begins internet use?

Danielle said...

Older kids might laugh at the illustrations and the simple form it is written in. However, they might enjoy a simple text for a change that doesn't take a long time to read. Also, they may actually welcome the information and some sort of guidelines of what should and shouldn't be done.

Judy Sue said...

Eniola,
I agree that the author does a great job of putting the responsibility on the parent. As a teacher I am nervous about my responsibility for students online.
I am not sure how usable this book is with younger students, but the older students could definitely benefit from it. I agree with you discussions are essential.
Judy

Cheryl said...

Eniola,
I enjoyed reading this book too! It helped me to understand all those terms we keep hearing about and The Blue Nowhere better. I agree that this would be a book for older children to read and discuss with a parent or in class. Students shouldn’t read this book on their own because they probably wouldn’t get much out of it. I think Patty has a great idea to require families to read this book before the student uses the internet. It all comes down to the parents realizing it is their responsibility. I think the student I had last year who did some inappropriate things with the computer wouldn’t have done that if her parents would have been more responsible.

Emily said...

I agree with Eniola, I wouldn't give this book to my class and have them read it on their own. I think the issues presented are good for them to know, but the reading level is too hard for them. I agree that the discussion questions at the end of the chapter might be a good starting point.